Paying for College

Grants & Assistantships
Teach Grant Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

Graduate Assistantships

Funding Opportunities

Graduate assistants are typically hired in the assistant’s major department but can be hired in other departments, offices and programs on campus provided they possess the relevant background. Types of Graduate Assistantships include Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, and Laboratory Assistants.  For more information contact the Graduate School at (575) 646-2736 or email

Student Loans

Cancellation/Deferment Options for Teachers

If you’re a teacher serving in a low-income or subject-matter shortage area, it might be possible for you to cancel or defer your student loans.

Federal Student Loans

You can apply for a Stafford Loan (FFEL) which is a loan that is not based on your income or credit. You will need your tax forms from the previous year in addition to your drivers license in order to fill out a FAFSA. After your FAFSA is processed, your school will review the results and will inform you about your loan eligibility.

Stafford Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers

The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession. Under this program, individuals who teach full time for five consecutive, complete academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools that serve low-income families and meet other qualifications may be eligible for forgiveness of up to a combined total of $17,500 in principal and interest on their FFEL and/or Direct Loan program loans. (Note: As of August 14, 2008, an otherwise eligible borrower may qualify for forgiveness if the borrower has provided qualifying teaching services at one or more locations that are operated by an educational service agency.)

How do I know if my school is considered a Title I or Low Income School?

Please click on the link below to search for your school.

Contact NMSU Financial Aid