Paths to Becoming a Teacher
Find the best way to earn your teaching license.
- No college degree?
- One way to earn a license is to complete a bachelor's degree in an approved teacher preparation program.
NMSU's College of Education has a wide array of exciting Undergraduate teaching programs.
- Bachelor's degree or higher but no teacher prep?
- If you already have a bachelor's degree or higher, you can earn your license through a post-baccalaureate licensure program or by preparing a portfolio and teach now on an intern license. See our Graduate Programs page for admission to our Licensure and Teacher Education Programs or check out information on our Alternative Licensure program.
- Licensed elsewhere?
- If you have a teaching license from another state or another country, you can teach apply for a NM teaching license under reciprocity and teach now.
- In a trade or vocation?
- To obtain a New Mexico teaching license to teach in vocational education, earn a bachelors and/or have work experience in that area. The New Mexico Teacher Assessments are not required for this license.
- T2T Program for Bachelor's or higher with experience
- If you have your bachelors, or higher, and have experiences you believe have prepared you to be an effective teacher, you may earn your NM teaching license through the New Mexico Statewide Transition to Teaching Program (T2T).
HOW TO BECOME A TEACHER IN NEW MEXICO
Licensure matrix from TeachNM