Working Towards Creating a More Sustainable College Community
See how the College of Education is GOING GREEN!
- The NMSU CoEd Sustainability Committee was formed in Spring 2009 as part of the NMSU Year of Sustainability Initiative.
- Since then, a wide array of college-wide initiatives have been implemented to promote best practices in sustainability within the workplace.
- An annual event is launched each year to bring greater focus to specific aspects of Going Green.
The Spring 2015 sustainability program was held on Earth Day, April 22nd and entitled, FARM to TABLE to EARTH: A Celebration of Edible Education. It began with an information fair and food tasting that invited participants to explore various local resources and organic food products. It was followed by a stimulating panel presentation which featured different aspects of the food cycle showcasing NMSU Organic Student Gardens, Organic Meal Planning, Edible Education infused into Curriculum Development and proven mechanisms for efficient backyard composting.
Recipes for several tasty beverages and easy-to-prepare, healthy dishes are provided here.
The success of this program was made possible by the generous support of our community sponsors. A huge THANK YOU is extended to:
Announcing the GREEN AWARD Recipients
Dr. Gary Ivory was selected as the 2015 Green Award honoree and was presented the Green Award traveling trophy. Having served NMSU for over 19 years, Dr. Ivory currently serves as Associate Professor in Educational Leadership & Administration (ELA) and is widely recognized for his efforts to recycle, promote resource conservation and reduce waste. In particular, he is known for his ongoing efforts to infuse sustainability mindedness into his classroom practices as well as his work and home life. He is frequently seen in the ELA department gathering organic material to be added to his 3-stage composting system. Congratulations to Dr. Gary Ivory!
Looking for a Greener way to get around?
Click here for TRANSPORTATION RESOURCES for NMSU Main Campus Commuters
Did you know?
- There are easy ways to reduce your carbon footprint while also saving money this summer by changing our use air conditioning?
- The full impact of the British Petroleum spill in the Gulf of Mexico? For your consideration, a “Tree Hugger” perspective…
- That our use of cars to bring us to and from campus is the #1 producer of greenhouse gasses at NMSU?
Need to refill your water bottle? The map below displays various hydration station locations on campus.
More specific information on the quantity and location of hydration station is presented below:
How I will make a difference!
I will… follow energy savings tips
- I will… use the hydration stations to reduce the use of plastic water bottles
- I will… drive with my car windows open instead of using air conditioning
- I will. . . recycle my aluminum cans and other recyclable containers
- I will… carpool, walk or take public transportation to campus
Click here to view the archive of past video initiatives
Some of Our Favorite YouTube Green Videos and Websites…
- Go College of the Atlantic!
- Earth 911 – This site is especially useful for recycling electronics. Electronics recycling centers are particularly difficult to find. You can also get tips on recycling hazardous materials.
- Ecoversity – Ecoversity is a non-profit educational center which explores and demonstrates concepts of sustainable living, ecological design, and responsibility for the wise stewardship of the Earth.
Contact members of the CoEd Sustainability Committee
Gladys DeNecochea, Co-Chair at email@example.com
Ruby Estrada at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cecilia Hernandez at email@example.com
Anna Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alma Meza at email@example.com
Amelia Medina Rau, Co-Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org