- 2013 Sociey of Counseling Psychology Division 17 participants Anita Mihecoby and Cynthia Guzmán PhD, along with 8 other individuals will gather in Houston at the 2013 National Multicultural Conference for a leadership training. The vision of the National Multicultural Conference and Summit is to convene scientists, practitioners, scholars, and students, in psychology and related fields to inform and inspire multicultural theory, research, and practice.
- Dr. Ivelisse Torres Fernandez is currently featured on the NMSU website.
- While people are becoming more aware of the increasing problem of bullying and acting out with today’s children, New Mexico State University’s Ivelisse Torres Fernandez has been working with a method that has proven results for decreasing these actions and for making a better school environment.
- Congratulations to Dr. Enedina Vazquez for receiving an award from the President of the National Association of School Psychologists for her work as Chair of the National Association of School Psychologists Program Approval Board. This is her second presidential award.
- Chelsea Garcia, 2nd Year School Psychology Graduate Student, in being a recipient of the 2011 NASP Graduate Student Research Grant. She received a stipend to support her Ed. S. research project and was recognized at the 2012 National Association of School Psychologists Convention. She was one of the two recipients of the national award. Also, she will be considered for publication in the Communiqué and for presentation at a future conference. Her research proposal is titled, "Examining the Relationship between Cultural Variables, Teacher Expectations, Culturally Responsive Teaching and Academic Self Efficacy."
- Sandra Martinez, a graduate of our counseling psychology program, was one of 38 early career psychologists to receive the prestigious fall 2010 Early Career Psychologist (ECP) Credentialing Scholarship. This is awared by the National Register of Health Services Providers in Psychology (National Register) in conjunction with American Psychological Association Committee on Early Career Psychologists.
- Doctoral student Cynthia Guzmán received the Latina Student Scholar Award from APA's Division of the Psychology of Women for her dissertation proposal: Towards a new conceptualization of marianismo: Validation of the Guzmán Marianismo Inventory (GMI).
- School psychology student Ana Magallanes
- Doctoral student Sandy Newsome
- Counseling And Educational Psychology Department Graduates Receive Research Award
- Luis Vazquez, associate dean of New Mexico State University's Graduate School, has been elected to the American Psychology Association's Board for the Advancement of Psychology in the Public Interest.
- New Mexico State University professor Michael Waldo was selected as an American Psychological Association (APA) Fellow for the Society of Counseling Psychology.
- Doctoral program at NMSU receives Suinn award from American Psychological Association.
Conferences & Symposiums
- Eleventh Annual Multicultural Research Symposium Keynote Speaker (2007) Tania Israel, Ph.D. LGBT Clients' Helpful and Unhelpful Therapy Experiences:
- Annual Multicultural Research Symposium Held
- Counseling and Educational Psychology represented at International Counseling Psychology Conference in Chicago
- Multicultural Summit / Reviewers